Centralia Regional Economic Development, Inc. (CREDI)
Minutes for July 26th meeting 6:00PM – County Commission Meeting Room
Barry Stevens, Don Rodgers, Lorry Myers, Don Bormann and Brian Maenner
(Brandy Forrest absent)
Fina Keller, Nancy Baca, Jeff Grimes, Evelyn Robertson, Ann Barnes, James Smith, Jason Shackelford, Stephen Dorman, Tim Grenke, Jo Dean Fink, Linda Bormann, Jon Angell
II. REDI Presentation
- Guest Speakers – Bernie Andrews (REDI), Joel McNutt (MODED), Maurice Harris (REDI Intern)
- REDI markets to interest businesses to come to Columbia and Boone County, with the focus the last 4-5 years being in technology based startups.
- Stated that 80% of interest companies are looking for existing vacant buildings.
- Need to develop “Shovel-Ready sites” with established utilities and budgetary costs to install utilities, road, or other infrastructure. Get site certified, but that will take funds to do.
- Talked that they would help us with some promotional/marketing literature.
- Bernie stated that REDI could possibly help CREDI with getting an intern to help us next semester put together paperwork that we may need.
- Discussion about having an Enhanced Enterprise Zone and the probabilities of get approval for one.
III. Old Business
- Review June 28th Meeting minutes:
- Revise minutes to state “Motion made and carried to pay $75 for website design to Stephen Dorman.
- Minutes Corrections- Motion made (Don Rodgers) 2nd (Nancy Baca) approved
IV. Networking Committee Report
- CREDI After Hours Report –
1. Social to be help on August 11, 2011 from 4:30 – 6:30 at K of C building. 4:30-5:30 social networking, 5:30 presentations.
2. Knights of Columbus donated the use of their building for the event. Prengers donated the Curves space for the event, but committee didn’t feel the space was large enough.
3. Setup from 3:30-4:30, Committee need 8-9 volunteers to setup and 8-9 volunteers to cleanup.
4. Invitation to be run in the Guard twice. Ad’s to be $60-80 each, but was being donated.
5. Mayor Grenke has sent invitation letters to representations and dignitaries inviting them to come and speak, no confirmations at this point.
6. Committee estimates between 35-50 people will attend.
7. Motion was made to have a “business card” drawing for a free one year membership to CREDI. Motion (Nancy Baca) 2nd (Barry Stevens) Approved.
8. Fruit donated by Jason Shackelford, Wine donated by Bob Monroe & Jeff Grimes, Glasses donated by Don Rodgers.
9. Registration table – Don Rodgers and Brian Maenner to handle
V. Marketing Committee Report
- “Live Centralia” Campaign Report –
1. Tour points and directions established.
2. Tour guides selected and on board.
3. Committee has asked school board to make the tour mandatory for all new teachers to the district. Waiting on their response.
VI. Board of Directors Training Discussion
- August/September – Barry to send out emails to establish possible dates with Board members.
VII. Treasurer Report
- Account Balance - $1,352.25
- Four Board officers have been established as approved signers for checks.
VIII. Business Expo Budget
- Networking committee to establish budget and present back to Board for approval.
IX. Operating Budget
- Preliminary operation budget presented for review.
- It was suggested that a laptop computer and QuickBooks software be purchased by CREDI for the Treasurer to keep accurate accounting records for tax purposes. Stephen Dorman offered to check on pricing and report at the next meeting. Motion made (Nancy Baca) 2nd (Fina Keller) approved to check on pricing.
X. Short Term Goals
- 501- 3C paperwork – Contact REDI for a copy of their paperwork.
- Barry to get CREDI paperwork from Lorry to start working on further.
- Working on gathering all pertinent information to be posted on website and marketing committee handling getting all website content to the secretary who will get it to Stephen Dorman.
XII. Long Term Goals
- Discussion – next meeting
XIII. Meeting Schedule
- Next meeting, September 27 at 6:00 pm at County Commission Meeting Room
XIV. Other Discussion
- CREDI Presentations to local Organizations and Clubs
1. Rotary Club – 7/27/11
2. School Board – 8/8/11 (Don R. to set up)
3. Centralia Chamber – TBD
4. Knights of Columbia – Don Rodgers to contact
5. Optimist Club – Brian Maenner to contact
6. Masonic Lodge – 9/15/11 @ 6:30
7. American Legion – 9/12/11 @ 6:00
8. Hallsville Chamber – 8/1/11 @ 11:45
9. VFW– 9/8/11 @ 6:00
- It was brought to the attention of the Board by Linda Bormann that her and Ginny Zoellers felt that CREDI was promoting that they and the Chamber were working together on activities. They felt left out or not included in decisions. It was also stated that CREDI is out to take over the Chamber of Commerce, not work together and take their funds away from them.
- It was made perfectly clear by the CREDI Board that in no way are we trying to step on the Chamber’s toes. We are only trying to make CREDI prosperous and improve the quality of life in Centralia.
- It was also stated that CREDI meetings and Board offices are open to anyone who is interested in attending or being involved. It was established that way so that each organization having interest in the betterment of Centralia would have a say. The City, Chamber and School all having an appointed person to speak/act on their organization’s behalf.
- Discussion was tabled until next meeting.
- Meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm.